Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Sorry to say farewell to 2015

Every year has a theme, and I wasn't too sure how to label 2015. It was a year filled to the brim with new experiences, new places to explore, old memories to dig up and reassess, and moments that truly reveal my character. I had some really scary moments this year when I had to act fast, and moments to sit back and let people take me where they want to. There were things I couldn't change and had to accept. It was a year to let go.

I visited more new places this year than any other year; crossing off North Carolina, Rhode Island, Washington DC, Florida (outside of my childhood vacations in Orlando), Mississippi, Alabama, and New Orleans Louisiana. We stayed at the COSM in New York State and recorded in a Cave in Virginia.  I can't wait to cross off a few more in 2016!






It was a year to appreciate.  There were times this year when I felt fear I had never felt before because those who are closest to me had been hurt or really sick. I am so SO grateful that everyone's ok.  Although these moments came and went, the residue of those feelings stayed with me. I try not to take anything for granted.

Finally, at the age of 27, I finally learned why certain things happened the way they did in my life. It was a revealing year.  I had been so naive all these years and now I understand my behavior, fears, and wants because I unlocked so many memories growing up. I've been reading "The Glass Castle" and I really appreciated the statement in the beginning,  "Interesting people tend to have an interesting past."

I learned to cope with all this overwhelming information by focusing on a new skill, craft, and process- spinning.  In connecting with this very old process, I found some inner peace.


It was a year to enjoy the process of learning. Since I'm teaching Media Arts and Art History this year, I had a lot of refreshing and learning to do! Between the hours spent reading in cafes and libraries, visiting museums, and skyping with professionals, I rekindled a desire to learn.  Teaching myself has been a very rewarding and exciting process. 

This was a year to share some beautiful moments with Daimon.  We went on a long-awaited honey moon road trip back in February, went on two mini tours with our friends to play out of state, and won an Asbury Music Award.  We have a lot of fun together and he's my hansom partner in crime.


Daimon's always the driver so I can work on projects, look out the window and take pictures!







I didn't want to leave out that it's been a productive year for the people in my life. So many are making sacrifices to pursue their dreams in the arts. All of them are doing what they want to do. A few moved from familiar places to be reunited with loved ones or to soothe their wanderlust. And a few started their own businesses. A few even got engaged and are making plans for 2016! We're watching our friend's baby grow up so quickly too! It's like I'm soaking up the sun rays from these powerful stars who know where they want to be.  I'm proud and excited beyond words to hear what the next steps are for them. Whether they're heading west to work in the film industry, or making money on the road playing for strangers and making new friends, I'm glad to say that we're all not collecting moss, yet we do a pretty good job sticking together.

Jewelry made by Salt and Steel.  Oh, you didn't know that the Homeless Apians invaded Germany this year?

2015 will be a tough year to follow, but with the trips we have planned and our aims for the next studio recording, I have no doubts it'll be a great year. Wishing you a....

No comments:

Post a Comment