Sunday, July 24, 2016

Moth Night in the Pine Barrens

The first thing I said aloud to my friend when we began our drive home was, "I was with my kind of people." Scientists, doctors, herpetologists, entomologists, and many bug admirers united all for the sake of photographing and admiring the beauty of moths. My friend and I enrolled in a free program in the Pine Barrens during "Moth Week". There were 4 locations at the site where lights attracted the moths to white cloth. Once settled, admirers could carefully slide their finger under them and hold them to get a closer look.

Before the moths woke up, we did a little snake tracking first at Franklin Parker Preserve.


It really was one of the most memorable moments of the summer. Moths have no shame landing wherever they like, even if it's the tip of your nose. It's no wonder everyone had a camera in hand; everyone was in awe of the hundreds of moths flying and landing on us. I didn't take as many pictures because I was in the moment like everyone else. One admirer said, "They really are like flying flowers."




It wasn't until the last hour of the event that several of these moths arrived.



I tried to win the world record for most luna moths on a face at one time. I only made it to 3!


No comments:

Post a Comment