Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sandy "Reliefs"

I personally believe that students should know the various purposes of art-making and applying that understanding in the real world. There is a noticeable common thread in many of the lesson plans I've written while studying art education at Montclair State University: humanitarian art.  This kind of art empowers us to give beyond what we have, challenges us to start discussions and ideas for social change, and it teaches society that a mission of art is to heal others, heal ourselves, and heal the audience from feeling incapable of doing something for a cause.

Pieces of Bayhead sand fencing, wood from homes, thick absorbent cotton paper, discarded thread, and actual beach sand I shook off my boots were materials I had collected to start this project.  I thought the best way to represent this local issue would be with actual items from the storm's wrath. I choose to make multiple collagraph prints. Wikipedia's definition of a collagraph: Collagraphy is a printmaking process in which materials are applied to a rigid substrate (such as paper or wood). Ink is applied to the resulting collage, and the board is used to print onto paper or another material using either a printing press or various hand tools. The resulting print is termed a collagraph. 


With collagraphs, you're probably not going to be happy with the results at first. I tried several times to ink the plate with watercolors (above) and stood on the cardboard/paper/plate sandwich for a few minutes. It wasn't working and I reached out to a friend to help me in a printmaking studio. Thankfully she talked me into using oil-based ink; I am so happy with the results!

When I was creating the plate design, I started arranging the items and little cut squares, which looked strangely familiar when I disturbed their organized placement.  Aerial photographs and video of the Jersey shoreline were firmly stamped in my memory and revealed itself while I was working. Like little doll houses from above, they were beaten and abused by a great, big, uncontrollable ocean.

I swear I cleaned the handle afterwards!

This "collage" made from 3D materials is titled "Disrupted Order". It was a project, experiment, and future lesson when I start putting my degree to good use!


I'm one of 3 Brick artists (Liz Hogan and Chris Young aka Skullboy) who are highlighting the ever-present anxiety and pain our town and many others are facing.  For many of them, FEMA and other aid will be denied. 100% of these sales will be given directly to families in need of the basic necessities. I will be selling these prints at the "Cuties with Scoops" event this Sunday from 5-9, and any other benefit show where I am invited to exhibit them. I urge people involved in this cause to help your neighbor, AND your neighbor's neighbor. There is suffering at every Jersey shore town, and regardless of where your roots are, we have to help the whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment