Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Hello and Happy St. Patricks Day to all my irish viewers. There are many bands to see so go grab your green tights and have some fun!

Easter is right around the corner and it's that time of year again to dust off the "Pysanky" box and unload all the dyes.  I have some great pictures to go through from the weekend, but in the mean time I wanted to introduce what Psyanky is.  It's also known as Ukrainian eggs, or easter eggs.  It's truly a "dying" art (no pun intended!) and it's one of the most meditative processes that art has to offer. You don't have be from Ukraine to turn eggs into art. Here's a great video to describe the process.  You need a pencil, the writing tool called a kitska, beeswax, a candle and match, dyes, papertowels, and of course the eggs.  



My only recommendation is to use organic eggs. My folks have chickens and their eggs are the best to use. It's not a great idea to go to a supermarket and buy eggs because the chemicals are nearly impossible to fully wash off and prevent the dyes from penetrating the shell.

Soon I'll post some of my own designs, but here's some of my favorite sources of inspiration:







Islamic Design, geometric patterns, and MC Escher are also great sources of inspiration for making these colorful eggs. The dyes are vibrant and really saturated. Turquoise, fushia, and pumpkin are my personal favorites.  Keep an eye out for another blogpost soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment