Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September band of the month goes to...


I won't be featuring a band of the month like I had planned. I didn't realize how high my expectations were to create a blog post every month that would cover aspects of each band like I would want to. If I do, it's because I had the means, resources, and ambition.  For September, I would like to introduce my "rarely featured band" of the month...


Songs by Moon Motel are ever-changing, similar to that of running water. Aspects of the songs change with every performance, adding people from the audience to come up and participate. Moon Motel's songs pluck at your heart until you're humbled enough to sing along. The singer/songwriter Jay Sales formed Moon Motel after heartbreak, and it's very apparent in his style of writing. I'm captivated and entranced by Jay's vocal decisions; I love what he does and doesn't do in the songs. He keeps plenty of "holes" in the songs so you can find your own part to sing a harmony or add an instrument.



I love how Jay often books gigs with the possibility that he may be playing it solo, but it's amazing that I've never seen him play without a group on stage with him.  Popular musicians in the scene, such as Chloe from Wakah Chan, Javier from Accidental Seabirds, and Jim Mill join Jay's performances and create a whole new dynamic each time he plays. If you build it, they will come!

photo courtesy of Gregg Bautista


Moon Motel plays in Asbury Park often, particularly at the venue Trinity and the Pope.  Check out the facebook for more show details.  Maybe we'll be singing along together!

No comments:

Post a Comment