Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer Reads



 I have a few friends who set personal goals to read 20 books by the time September comes around, but  personally I find myself speed reading to get to the next book instead of taking my time.  I spent nearly 3 months reading "Girls to the Front" by Marcus (maybe because I could relate to it so much and I didn't want it to end too soon). The book is beautifully written to illustrate the late 80s/early 90s as a period for feminists to start the Riot Grrrls revolution. An insightful read for anyone.

Flying Colors was an easy read but a powerful one. An established artist talks about his work to the patients in a mental hospital and decides to come back to the hospital to start an art education program. It's an inspirational story that speaks volumes about the healing power of art for the creator. I loved the part about a severely handicapped man in a wheel chair rolling his chair over a canvas with paint- his curvy tire tracks created an image that appeared to be a spine or backbone- something that the art-maker might not have had emotionally or "physically" in a sense. A teacher suggested I read it since it's changed the lives of so many people. Of course it was exactly what I expected it to be:  profound.

Clayon's "An Awesome Book" is great for children and adults. Definitely pick it up at Barnes and Nobles; it'll bring a little tear to your eye.  The watercolored images are reminiscent of my own style with the Dr. Martins. Thanks Tess for lending it to me!

The annotated Mona Lisa is the best art history book ever.  It's great if you like to read Eyewitness books; the layout is interesting between text and pictures.  I particularly enjoyed all the little facts about Da Vinci and the timelines relating works of art to world history.

Last but not least, "5, 7, then 5: We must tell a whole story in just three short lines" was a book that sat in my car begging to be read at every red light. You know from the haikus referencing asbury park that these authors are locals. My favorite haiku is on page 32 (the one about the tadpole!)   The authors were kind enough to leave haikus for me:




No comments:

Post a Comment