Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Place that puts a Fire in my Heart

I wanted to share a sacred place that I recently rediscovered this past summer. It used to be a high school hangout where the kids would bum cigarettes and watch the boats go by. Today it's something else for me. It's a place to refresh my mind and identify with what "home" feels like. There's no reason to be at the canal if you weren't a local who knew about it. Its location isn't well known and I think that's what adds to its appeal. The Bayhead bridge sing different notes every time a car drives over it and the red wing black birds are so loud you'd think they were having a better time than you! I'm never disappointed when I go there; there's always an abundance of swans, geese, shore birds, and ducks with their babies all beach-bathing in the sun. It makes you feel right at home.

This is what summer looks like when you're not with lots of friends or at work.

When the captains bring their boats in, be sure to ask how their trip was. You never know if they caught something exciting or have a story or two for you. It always adds to the experience of being there and you might just make a new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment