Friday, August 31, 2012

She's a hooper!

Hooping is my form of exercise- it's a therapy, social activity, and fosters an energy from you that you may never experience without the hoop. I've been hooping for 3 years, using youtube as an instructor.  I get questions about my hoop and my skills often, so this blog post is dedicated to one thing I love to do every spring, summer and fall, up and down the Garden State:


How did you get interested in this?

It all started with a friend who goes to circus school in Philadelphia. My friend, who goes by the name of Wendybird Hoops, can make hoops and practices many forms of performance art, including fire hooping & aerials. I was so inspired and amazed when she showed up at one of Elevator Art's shows that I hit wrong notes on the bass! I knew I had to pick it up. Here's a video of Wendybird doing her thing:




Where do you buy your hoops and how can I get one?

Hoops vary in price, but you can get a hoop through WendyBird Hoops for $25 (comment below if you want her contact info), custom made to your size and with your choice of colors. If you measure from the ground to your bellybutton, that's the diameter your hoop should be. You can also purchase premade hoops at New to You Vintage in Point Boro.

Is it dancing or exercising? Do I have to be a dancer?

It's anything you want it to be, but I do it for fun. I'm not a serious hooper that would do performances like my friend. You can tell I'm not a dancer because I lack a little grace. Hoop dancing classes are popping up all over NJ in dance studios, and the only two I know of are in Cranford and Morristown NJ. The best hoop dancers have many skills, not just knowing tricks like I do.


How many hoops do you have?

One LED hoop from moodhoops.com, a very large purple hoop for practicing, 2 matching small hoops, and my favorite glow-in-the-dark that I take everywhere. 

Where do you find tutorials?

Anybody can learn hoop tricks if you're dedicated enough. It took me a whole month to learn how to bring the hoop from my knees to my waist.  Babz, sprongled and Brecken are master hoopers who I look up to.  You can learn by watching their moves or from hoop dance tutorials on youtube. My 2 favorite hooping videos are below:





I like to practice in privacy, show off at a show, and play when I'm working out at the park or beach. Here's a pic from when Daimon and I visited Ricketts Glenn in PA


It's fun to share your skills with others and see how they grow in their talents. It's always awkward at first so don't be hard on yourself. It seems that men have a harder time with grace than the women, but they can develop their own style as a result. Look at Daimon's picture haha!


Daimon took this one with my Minolta film camera. It was a gorgeous day at Verona Park in Verona, NJ

If I had an hour to show you tricks, you are gaurenteed to learn at least 2 or 3. If you ever want to set up a fall hooping day or want to improve as a hoop dancer, just comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment