Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tides

My final year of Graduate School at Montclair State University begins next week, and it's going to be a very exciting year! I haven't had a permanent address for the past 7 years; constantly having to pack up my clothes, gadgets, and art supplies to come down to Brick, back up to Caldwell, back down to Brick, back up to Montclair.

It's funny that these "tides" as I call them don't prevent me from settling down in a temporary home. In fact, I currently have 3 different studio spaces:  the sewing studio is the spare bedroom at my parents' house, my scanner, reference images, and acrylics are still at my apartment up north, and most of my art supplies are set up in Daimon's apartment. In the past 3 months I've gotten comfortable working at Daimon's place. Who wouldn't want a light table by their workspace?


It's important to have images or objects around your studio space to make it like a microcosm. It's your world to do whatever you want with it. I've always wanted a big studio space to do larger work on huge blank walls, but that's something I might not have for a while. I'll just continue to make a big mess in a small space until that day comes.

It's bittersweet that this is the last summer that I'll be moving my belongings elsewhere. I love being a student and I love the long drive with the anticipation of seeing the exit 98 sign.  But just like the ocean, these tides will continue to swell, and in May my life starts on the high tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment