Monday, October 1, 2012

How Many Men Does it take to Fix a Sewing Machine?

I went to an estate sale in Whiting, NJ and bought a vintage sewing machine for $20; a huge markdown from the original $140 pricetag. The seller had no relatives to accept the hand-me-down, or help moving the machine around, so I brought my trusty fiance to help me! I guess he knew it would be going to a good home; he even threw in a whole container of vintage buttons, original manual, all the bobbins and oil for the machine.

At first, I was concerned that I had been ripped off. Luckily, I have a Pop who loves challenges, especially concerning motors and machines. It took him some time but he got it working just before it got too dark.



In my research, I learned that this machine was first imported to America in 1947, and was the very first machine to have a zigzag stitch option. 


This baby pink "Nicchi" machine is built like a tank. Italy made! They make attachments for fancy embroidery, which are quite easy to find on ebay. The machine is attached to the table and even has an extension.  I was sure it was a 1940's and I wasn't too far off; it's an early 1950's model. It needs some cleaning and I may strip the wood and give it a new coat when I have a free weekend. I'm excited to add her to the family- right now I have a 60's Singer machine, new White machine, and a Singer Serger. Maybe one day I'll buy one of the bad boys to complete the collection. Keep an eye out for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment