Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Progress Since Hurricane Sandy

I've been that middle-person since the hurricane hit. People message me asking for immediate help, and people message me asking where they can be of use. I connect the two and ::::BAM:::: you've got productivity and people helping each other. Since the storm, I have connected with some amazing individuals who have literally dedicated 100% of their time to relief efforts this week. Keryn Thompson, Meghan McCaskill, and Stacie Cotter have been go-to girls who know exactly what's going on and where donations can be dropped off. Inspired by the efforts of my friends but devastated by the destruction of homes, familiar places, and the places of refuge that I've often gone to through the years, I took on the role of a coordinator to reach the most amount of people possible.

What the week has been like:

The Calvary Pantry needed a lot of help, and that was a gratifying experience working with the Cotters who handle the pantry. We folded clothes and handled food donations.

I spent 3 days in Bayhead: from cleaning out my boss's garage packed with dirty stationary that I had spend hours upon hours painting... to cleaning a single-mother's garage filled with 1800's sewing supplies and photoalbums covered in mud and sand. I salvaged her young son's birth certificate. I also received silk thread with gold leaf wrapped around it. It needs some cleaning but it was worth salvaging: I'll be working on an art piece with it, and the proceeds will go to a relief effort.

Every church had signs for free coffee and donations, and I spent time bringing those items to those who lost everything on the streets of Bayhead. Middle class families, sometimes with 2 families in the homes, were appreciative to a coffee runner. Someone took a photo of me walking between homes in Bayhead. It was like a warzone, and that was after the 4 feet of sand and mud had been bulldozed away.  Sorry it's not in focus.


I stood on the Bayhead dunes (what was left of them), saw the end of Drumpoint road, saw a boat sitting in the playground at Windward Beach, saw shelters and the tears of those dwelling in them. I saw the railroad tracks in Brielle and Point Beach. It was a surreal experience to see my backyard as a river with waves of oil floating on the top. The bridge floated off its foundation and I lost only one chicken. Just one. And I'm fortunate that's all my family lost.  We're doing okay.


Meghan McCaskill and I started 2 things: a support group and an event.

We started the Restore the Shore Group on facebook. It has over 200 followers thus far!  We're spreading the word; volunteer opportunities and donations needed in any shore town will be posted if we know about them. We compile information from multiple sources every day and post what we know.



Cuties with Scoops is an event being held at Two Sister's Ice Cream Stop in Beachwood.  You'll see me there, serving ice-cream and playing local music over the speakers. 30% of proceeds and ALL TIPS will go to a Hurricane Relief group of our choice.  Details coming soon! 


https://www.facebook.com/events/366886670067977/?fref=ts

Simple things you can do:

-offer internet services to your neighbors.
-offer to pick up donations or coffee for anyone coming out of a home with obvious damage/lots of trash on the street.
-go to a shelter and ask for a list of what they need, and post that on facebook or text friends for those items.
-go to the Cuties with Scoops event!

No comments:

Post a Comment