Saturday, April 6, 2013

Flea Market Therapy

When it gets warmer, I usually go to the Collingswood Flea Market every weekend. It's an experience that is so much more than just finding a good bargain.  It's a social interaction, a time to speak with people about their history and connections to items. Going to garage sales or flea markets can also act as a hands-on history lesson.  You can learn so much about the world, culture, and the differences in decades.  I can't tell you how many times I've purchased a small tchotchke and the vendor would immediately want to share how to "read" the item; looking for tags, numbers, where it was made, and the history surrounding it.  I love thinking of an item's history; if there was once a person who had sentimental value toward it.  Here's some little things I bought today.

Classic Car Tin, Made in England, $1
2 yards of magenta fabric, great condition, $1
Pigeon Salt and Pepper Shakers, Made in Japan, $3


I'm feeling under the weather since the season is changing. Walking around the flea market is good exercise and gets me out of the house.  Hopefully in a few days I'll be 100% again.  Hope you have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment